Friday, August 14, 2009

‘He may have been dragged’


SHAH ALAM: Political aide Teoh Beng Hock may have been dragged prior to his death as there were deep graze marks on the sole of his right shoe.

C/Insp Mazli Jusoh, 31, from the Selangor police forensics department told the inquest into Teoh’s death yesterday that this was a possibility.

Insp Mazli said Teoh’s left shoe, however, was not damaged.

He was answering questions posed by counsel Malik Imtiaz Sarwar who is holding a watching brief for the Selangor government.

Malik Imtiaz: “Is there a possibility that the deceased had been dragged?”

Insp Mazli: “No, usually when someone is dragged from behind it will not show on the sole because the feet would be flat down, as he would be using the heel of his shoes to resist.”

Malik Imtiaz: “If he was dragged sideways, is there a possibility (for the graze marks to have occurred)?”

Insp Mazli: “Yes, possibly.”

Teoh, who was the political secretary to Selangor executive council member Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead at 1.30pm on July 16, at Plaza Masalam’s fifth floor service corridor.

He had gone to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) office on the 14th floor of the building on July 15, to help with investigations into the disbursement of state funds.

Insp Mazli also said, when he inspected the deceased, he found dirt stains on the back portion of his (Teoh’s) torn pants.

Earlier, he told the inquest that he had taken two swabs each from the MACC’s office window, from which Teoh is believed to have plunged to his death, as well as a sofa on which Teoh had allegedly spent the night.

Insp Mazli also said when he went to the MACC office on July 16, the relevant areas had been secured.

Malik Imtiaz: “So before it was secured, anyone could have gone in? Did you see any footprints near the window?”

Insp Mazli: “I did not see any footprints. If someone had stood there, there would have been a mark due to the dust.”

He added that there were also no visible fingerprints on the window as well, which was dirty and dusty.

Sreekant Pillai, who is also counsel for the Selangor government, asked Insp Mazli if he had looked for fingerprints on Teoh’s body.

“No, there were no instructions given,” said Insp Mazli.

The inquest’s 14th witness, DSP Shahrul Othman Mansor from the Cheras Royal Malaysian Police forensic laboratory, who took the stand after Insp Mazli, testified that he had detected a faint nine-inch (22.9cm) shoe print on the window shoulder, but he did not find out whose print it was.

DSP Shahrul also said he had not checked the window for any fingerprints or tell-tale signs because he had been informed by Investigating Officer ASP Ahmad Nazri Zainal that the Selangor police forensics team had already inspected the place.

However, he added that he noticed that the window’s latch had been recently broken.

The inquest continues today with Klang Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) senior consultant pathologist Dr Khairul Azman Ibrahim testifying in the morning.

No comments: