Saturday, August 8, 2009

Parties view Teoh’s death site


SHAH ALAM: Parties involved in the inquest into Teoh Beng Hock’s death, led by coroner Azmil Muntapha Abas, visited the site where the political aide was found dead in Plaza Masalam here.

During the two-hour visit, Azmil Muntapha and the legal teams viewed the visitors lounge, pantry, the sofa on which Teoh allegedly slept on and the interrogation room where he was questioned in the Selangor branch of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) office.

Lawyers representing Teoh’s family, the state government and Bar Council, started arriving in groups from 9.10am.

When Azmil Muntapha arrived, he headed for the 14th floor of the building where lawyers, court officials and police were waiting at the MACC office.

Not long after, pressmen who waited outside the building saw coroner and lawyers peering out of the window from which Teoh purportedly fell.

The entourage later took the staircase to the 15th floor where part of the MACC office was located.

At 10.50am, inquest officials headed towards the fifth-floor corridor of Plaza Masalam where Teoh’s body was found on July 16.

After spending some time there, they took the stairs to the fourth floor of the building to the security control room.

Lawyer Malik Imtiaz Sarwar, representing the state government, told reporters that the lawyers took the opportunity to see the site from every possible angle and were given the chance to take photographs.

“We were also taken to see the CCTV footages in the control room. We have seen the place where the death occurred and now we’ll wait for the forensics experts to take the stand next week,” he said.

Teoh, 30, was found dead on the fifth floor of the building after he was interviewed by the MACC, which has its state office on the 14th floor.

The political secretary to Selangor exco member Ean Yong Hian Wah was reported to have been a witness in an investigation into the alleged abuse of constituency development funds by several Selangor Pakatan Rakyat state assemblymen.

The inquest continues on Monday.

No comments: